Benefits - Waste Disposal
Plasma gasification is a highly advantageous technique for waste disposal for a number of reasons. Here are just a few examples:
- Plasma gasification can handle both non-hazardous and hazardous waste. A plasma gasification plant can treat municipal, toxic and clinical waste, or a mixture of all three, with equal effectiveness.
- Plasma gasification is a non-incineration technique and therefore does not have the disadvantages of incineration.
- Plasma gasification does not produce ash, or other by-products such as degraded biomass, that still has to be disposed of in landfill after initial treatment. Therefore, there are no by-product disposal costs.
- Materials recovery is greater than for any other thermal technique. Rather than using raw materials, as in incineration, plasma gasification actually produces them.
- Energy recovery, with the correct equipment installed, is greater than for any other waste technique. Therefore, the income from the sale of power is maximised.
- Combined emissions to air, water and land are lower than for any other process.